Thursday, December 19, 2013

Am I Really The Only Fashion Model With Natural Hair?

I’ve been fortunate enough to see my modeling career flourish and take me to places I never dreamed of going. I love being presented with new cultures, people and places. And because of that I guess I’ve gotten accustomed to feeling like the odd man out. After all, most clients aim for diversity in their advertising. So it’s not surprising that I am usually the only black girl on set. The same holds true for red heads and models of Asian decent. We just accept the fact that we don’t often get to work with other girls that look like us.


I guess that’s why I’ve never stopped to think about not working with other naturals – until recently. Twice in one day it was pointed out to me that I am the only fashion model around at the moment that works with her naturally kinky hair. First it was another model with curly hair that pointed it out, saying that she respects me for being the only model she knows who works with hair that most people consider unmanageable or even undesirable. (I guess that was meant to be a compliment?) Later a woman walked up to me in Whole Foods and asked if I was Hollis. I said yes and we got into a quick conversation about the lack of fashion models with naturally kinky/Afro hair. While I’m sure there are other models with kinky hair out there, I have to admit there aren’t many.


When I started doing runway shows I remember top designers being fascinated by my hair, asking if they could touch it and saying it was so unexpected to see a runway model in this day and age who had managed to keep such hair. It isn’t until now that I fully understand what they meant. While there are many models with natural hair, most of them have curly hair. The ones with kinky hair usually keep it cut low like Alek Wek or Ajak Deng, and I understand why. Besides the fact that some women prefer low hair cuts, models trying to grow out their kinky hair are constantly pressured to straighten, relax, or weave it if they want to book certain jobs. Once I was actually dropped from a runway show by one of the most well known fashion labels in the world because I wouldn’t relax my hair!

I won’t kid you, it’s not always easy being the model with hair that hairstylist never know what to do with and I’m sure I don’t get booked sometimes because of it. When I was in Cape Town I was told outright by a hairstylist that my hair is not chic, glamorous, or beautiful and that I should straighten it immediately. Another South African client suggested I buy a wig if I wanted to work for the high-end clients in that market. I was so frustrated I even wrote a post about it called “Wig it or Forget it?” In it, I asked for your opinion and you guys almost unanimously said that I should stop being proud Mary and buy a wig.


I listened to what you had to say and part of me even agreed with you, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I know that a model’s job is to be a chameleon and transform into whatever the designer or client wants her to look like and I am totally willing to do that – within reason. If I show up for a shoot and the client has wigs, hairpieces and hats ready, then I’m more than happy to wear them.
However, I refuse to walk into photo shoots with a bag of tricks or wigs in an effort to please all the people all the time. It would take me away from the model I want to be and the image I like to put out there. Maybe the idea that there aren’t many working fashion models with my hair texture makes me feel more strongly about it. I’m sure a day will come when it’s normal to see models with Afros in magazines and on runways, until then I will keep standing up for what I believe in and encouraging others to do the same.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE to see fashion models with natural hair, but I barely see them. That's why I'm glad I found your blog! I understand it's frustrating to be the (almost) only model with naturally kinky hair. It would make me self conscious in certain photo shoots, but it would also make me proud ;) Just show all those people you love your hair as it is, and that it should not be altered as a default. Pppff, I hope more and more hairdressers etc. learn to care for naturally kinky/curly hair in the future.

    ReplyDelete

About Us

Total Pageviews